As morning comes and the sun rises, many of us greet the day with gratitude or moan with grouchiness. Our attitude and activities in the morning can set the whole tone of our day. There are many of us searching for days that are calm and peaceful, this can be your reality.
Some of you are already giving me the side eye, I understand I was at this place at one time. On a hamster wheel for everyone else and lost myself in the process. Please know there is hope. I have shared some morning rituals that have given me peace throughout the years. I’ve somehow been attracted to stressful yet rewarding careers. As a teacher, editor, and manager there are many hats that I have to wear and situations that were less than desirable that I’ve had to deal with. With many deep breaths in the moment, I can say that the centering of a morning ritual helps.
There is nothing like taking time for yourself at the beginning of the day to spend time with yourself, your higher power, and take the time to set intentions and move your body in a way that it will benefit the most. When we start our day mindfully, we can manage the world and the lessons that come our way that many would see as a challenge.
Here are some morning rituals that I incorporate into my day. I can’t tell you that everyday is perfect, calm, and blissful, but I can tell you that when I don’t start with my rituals I do feel off centered.
If you don’t have a morning practice to center yourself yet, try one of these for a week or a month and add on. I hope you incorporate some of these activities during your morning.
1. Give Thanks – Gratitude so important. Look around and think of the blessings that are around you. I create a gratitude list daily. Throughout the years this has helped me have a more positive outlook.
2. Stretch – You’ve been resting all night it is important to wake your body up in a gentle way. A few yoga stretches in the morning can go a long way. If you have time, exercise is a great way to get your morning started.
3. Drink Hot Lemon Water – This is the best thing for your body in the morning. It is a natural detox agent, it regulates your PH, cleanses the skin, and hot lemon water is also known to aid in weight loss.
4. Journal – I have practiced Julia Cameron’s “Morning Pages” for years. I got this from her book “The Artists Way”. Morning Pages is a practice of 10 minutes or three full pages of free writing every day. During your journaling this is a time you can also write your gratitude items. This is a great way to reflect and set some intentions for the day.
If you are beginning a journaling practice and don’t know where to start here are some of my writing prompts that will get you started.
5. Prayer and Meditation– Prayer is the action and meditation is the answer. Everyday take the time to pray and meditate. You will be directed and aligned with your purpose.
6. Affirmations– Words have power and what we speak will come into existence. Affirmations are important to keep you focused and on purpose. Here are some to get you started. These are from my book “Be Calm”.
I am committed to staying present and focused.
I owe it to myself to be organized, so I can stay stress free and focused.
I am free to play and enjoy my life.
I am a creative being who has a powerful imagination.
Do you need help living a calm and peaceful life?
My book “Be Calm: 31 Mindful Affirmations and Reflections for Living a Peaceful Life” is available. Click here to purchase.