by Rana Tarakji
Healthy Dessert Options
No matter how huge a meal is, there are pockets of space reserved to satisfy a sweet tooth craving. Whether sweet, tart, or savory everyone loves their desserts; the only problem is many desserts have no regard for the waistline and the many inches they tend to add, or do they?
The general view of desserts is that any sweet treat consumed while on a diet will reverse all of the hard work done to lose those pounds. While this does not mean an unlimited access to the snack pantry will not throw your diet off, but one cookie will not hurt. The great thing about having a problem is finding a solution, and in a culinary experience, it is even better to find a healthy option that tastes just as good as or even better than the original.
Here are a few healthy and delicious dessert ideas that will not break the bank or your diet regimen.
No Bake Peanut Butter-Chocolate Bars
The great thing about this idea is that there is no need for an oven. The preparation method is simple:
- In a bowl, mix together cocoa butter, crushed almonds or your favorite type of legume, sugar (optional) and 1 cup of natural peanut butter until well blended.
- Press evenly into the bottom of an ungreased 9×13 inch pan.
- Melt dark chocolate chips with the peanut butter mix using either a metal bowl with boiling water or pop it into the microwave.
- Stir occasionally until smooth.
- Spread over the pan and you can use a prepared crust.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour before cutting into squares.
Given the tight schedule most people have, there may not be enough time in the day to prepare chocolate bars. Here is a much simpler dessert or summertime snack which is cool, refreshing, healthy and it is quite easy to whip up a batch.
- Purée the following ingredients in a blender: seedless watermelon, sugar (optional) and lime juice to taste.
- Pour into a dish and place in the freezer.
- It would be ideal to use a fork for the next step- stir the mix every 30-45 until a slush consistency is achieved.
If you are not inclined to preparing your own desserts, or if there is simply no time, there are a few low calorie yet healthy dessert options on the market. Once the serving sizes are adhered to, there should be no problems with grabbing a pack of these suggestions.
- Blue Bunny Champ! Snack-Size Ice Cream Cones– They are only 140 calories per cone. So, feel free to have one as dessert.
- Angie’s Sweet & Spicy Kettle Corn- This is for the folks who like a bit of spice with their desserts. At 140 calories per every two cups, this is a snack that can be enjoyed in a lot more volume without feeling guilty.
- Lucy’s Gluten-Free Brownie Cakes– many persons have allergic reactions to what may be served for dessert because they contain nuts, dairy, eggs, and wheat. At 120 calories per brownie, this sweet treat is quite healthy and it will prevent a trip to the hospital for persons with allergies.
Author bio: Rana Tarakji is an entrepreneur and a contributing writer at Stylerail, a lifestyle blog.