One of my favorite things about fall, aside from the fashion, are pumpkins. I’ve loved the taste for a long time. I remember back in the day when people would give me a serious side eye when I told them I like the flavor of pumpkin. Now, it seems that everyone has embraced the taste! So with the beauty of the leaves changing, crispy air and the need for some comfort food. Here are some pumpkin recipes that satisfy your sweet tooth in a healthy way. As an extra bonus, check out the video for a pumpkin juice recipe. I have tried this and it is delicious. Enjoy!
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup soy milk
2 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup mashed, cooked pumpkin
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp allspice
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp apple cider vinegar (or white if necessary)
Combine soymilk with the tsp vinegar in a separate bowl. Give it 5 minutes to curdle (this is like using buttermilk). Stir together pumpkin, spices, water and soymilk in mixing bowl. Add in remaining ingredients and stir until moist. Let sit 5 minutes to rise and lightly stir again. Let rest five more minutes and cook them up. Makes twenty 4″ pancakes. (sparkpeople.com)
Pumpkin Spice Cider
1qt apple juice
1 cup cranberry juice
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/4 cup clover honey
4 cinnamon sticks
Mix all of the ingredients, refrigerate, and serve. (yummly.com)
1. Soak your raw cashews in salted water overnight or at least 6 hours. They should break apart easily and be tender to bite when properly soaked.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
3. Drain your nuts and set aside. Also set aside about 15-20 cashews or garnish. Gather all ingredients and set aside as well.
4. In a food processor, add the cream cheese, pumpkin pie mix (or substitute ingredients), cashews and lemon juice.Blend on high until a creamy mixture is reached. Pulse in additional cinnamon (other spices may be added as well).
5. Pour your puree into your pie crusts. Swirl and smooth top with fork. Dot on cashews around the edge and center as you’d like.
Do you have a favorite Pumpkin Recipe?
Peace and Blessings,